Continental Corporation Sr. Chemist, PVC/Plastics in Mount Pleasant, Iowa
About Continental With sales of €40.5 billion in 2016, Continental is among the leading automotive suppliers worldwide and currently employs more than 227,000 employees in 56 countries. As a division in the Continental Corporation, ContiTech is one of the world's leading industrial specialists. Its customers can be found in key industries such as machine and plant engineering, mining, the agricultural industry, and the automotive industry. With around 43,000 employees in 44 countries, the company uses its development and material expertise for products and systems made of rubber, polyamide, metal, textile, and electronic components to combine these with individual services. ContiTech always thinks in terms of customer-friendly and environmentally-friendly solutions – going well and truly beyond its roots as a producer of rubber products. With sales of approximately €5.5 billion (2016), this international technology partner is active with core branches in Europe, Asia, North and South America.
Auto req ID 86513BR
Job Title Sr. Chemist, PVC/Plastics
Country United States
Posting Location Mount Pleasant, IA
• Play leading role globally in developing and improving materials and compound formulations used in PVC and thermoplastic industrial hoses with consideration for properties, performance, quality, EHS, supply, and cost.
• Provide fundamental knowledge and understanding in the areas of materials chemistry, characterization techniques, and structure-property relationship as it relates to PVC, polyurethanes, thermoplastics & thermosets, and elastomeric materials/compounds.
• Develop and/or improve hose reinforcements that are used in product applications with consideration for properties, performance, quality, supply, and cost
• Play key role in the areas of material selection, innovative PVC and thermoplastic hose design, manufacturing processes selections, and industrial standards and regulations compliance.
• Provide materials technology support to customers, production and the commercial organization.
• Support the development, design, and implementation of new processes for new or existing products that meet or exceed external customers’ expectations.
• Work closely with lab, quality and manufacturing teams to introduce/enhance/upgrade characterization methods, release testing etc. of materials and/or process conditions.
• Work closely with Central R&D to provide guidance towards the development of new/innovative products and applications for the business.
• Documentation of project work expected in the form of detailed technical reports, presentations and management updates.
Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical, Materials Engineering. Advanced degree in Chemistry, Materials, Chemical Engineering preferred.
5+ years of experience formulating and processing in PVC, polyurethanes, thermoplastics & thermosets, and elastomeric materials/compounds.
Industrial processing experience with rubber materials (mixing, extrusion, etc.) a plus
Demonstrated understanding of problem solving & quality improvement techniques
Experience in industry standards (ASTM, RMA, ISO)
Familiarity with FMEA, Root Cause Analysis
Ability to interpret, analyze and present technical information using practical judgment.
Ability to organize and manage concurrent activities.
Proven writing & presentation skills. Good organizational and communication skills.
Willingness and ability to perform hands-on experimental and testing work when required
Highly motivated, self-initiating individual who can work in a manufacturing and team environment.
Competence with computer systems and related applications software, Proficient with MS Office, MS Project,
EEO / AA / Disabled / Protected Veteran Employer. Continental offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to unlawful consideration to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. In addition, as a federal contractor, Continental complies with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities, where they apply. To be considered, you must apply for a specific position for which Continental has a current posted job opening. Qualifying applications will be considered only for the specific opening(s) to which you apply. If you would like to be considered for additional or future job openings, we encourage you to reapply for other opportunities as they become available. Further, Continental provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance in the application process, please reply to North.America.Recruiting@continental-corporation.com or contact US Recruiting at 248.209.4000.
Division Footer Text Ready to drive with Continental? Take the first step and fill in the online application.