Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Human Resource Assistant in Des Moines, Iowa
Human Resources plays a significant role in the steady operation of the entire Health Care System. The Human Resources Assistant is critical to the success of the department, as this position is responsible for the successful completion of many vital HR processes. Are you a team player that wants to work in a fulfilling environment that has true impacts on a noble mission? If this interests you, please continue to read on about some of the common duties of the position.
Learn more about this agency
- Ensures all required documents are attached at submission of recruitment requests.
- Initiates and facilitates the pre-employment/on-boarding process from date of interest call to date of new hire orientation.
- Tracks, monitors, and maintains status of selectee throughout the pre-employment/on-boarding process and conducts follow up as appropriate.
- Monitors and tracks automated suspense notices to ensure timely follow-up actions are taken in a timely manner.
- Provides consistent, correct and timely answers to routine questions regarding process and procedures to applicants, employees and selecting officials, verbally or in writing.
- Creates and maintains pre-employment communications with selectees, selecting officials and other vested parties.
- Codes personnel actions in accordance with VA Regulations.
- Assists employees with benefit enrollment and related questions.
- Performs work in support of labor and employee relations functions.
- Resolves problems regarding pay and benefits requiring coordination with payroll representatives and health insurance carriers.
- Establishes and maintains electronic official personnel folders (eOPF), including consolidation with prior service records and other activities as required within the eOPF system.
- Other duties as assigned. Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Position Description Title/PD#:Human Resource Assistant, PD 30077A / 30078A Telework: Not available Virtual: This is not a virtual position. Physical Requirements: No unusual physical demands exist. The work is primarily sedentary, some bending, lifting, standing, and stooping required. Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
- #### Job family (Series)
0203 Human Resources Assistance
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- May serve a probationary period.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized Experience: To be qualified at the GS-06 level you must meet the following minimum qualification:
Applicants must have one complete year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-05) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to work involving: * HR methods * Staffing principles * Utilizing, and maintaining efficient tracking systems * Communicating verbally and in writing with a variety of people in a variety of levels To be qualified at the GS-07 level you must meet the following minimum qualification:
Applicants must have one complete year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-06) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to work involving: * HR methods, regulations, or principles * Staffing principles * Developing, utilizing, and maintaining efficient tracking systems * Communicating verbally and in writing with a variety of people in a variety of levels Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be well-qualified, applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors if applicable, and must be proficient in most of the requirements of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website which can be found at https://www.opm.gov/.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
**This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Alternate Application:**If you are unable to apply online view the following Alternate Application Information instructions at https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=AlternateApplicationInformation
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.Applicants will be referred in alphabetical order.
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
- HR Information System
- Technical Competence
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Other Veterans Document
Please review the above list(s) to ensure you have included all necessary documents required for your application.Not every applicant will require the same documents, therefore it is the applicants responsibility to ensure that their application package includes all necessary documents to determine qualifications and eligibility for appointment, such as a copy of your SF-50, transcript, ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).You will not be contacted for additional information. Applicants will be deemed ineligible if supporting documentation is not submitted.
Veterans' Preference:Since the Direct-Hire Recruitment Authority is being used, traditional Veterans' Preference rules do not apply. Qualified veterans will, however, be given full consideration for this position.
Applications are accepted online.Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online.
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 12/12/2018 to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply Onlineto create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
Click Submit My Answersto submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Statuslink and then select the More Informationlink for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Applicationin the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
VA Central Iowa Health Care System 3600 30th St Des Moines, IA 50310 US
Learn more about this agency
After the vacancy announcement closes, applicants are evaluated to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/518714200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 12/06/2018 to 12/12/2018
Pay scale & grade: GS 6 - 7
Salary: $37,223 to $53,773 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time