Cobham Mission Manager, Systems Development Engineering in Davenport, Iowa
Cobham is seeking an Manager, Systems Development Engineering to oversee the Systems Development Engineering team located in Davenport, IA.* *This position oversees a growing team of systems and project engineers responsible for the architecture design and project oversight of Cobham’s Air Refueling and Life Support systems for both military and commercial aerospace applications. The successful candidate will have both strong management and leadership skills to enable a growing business. This position is located in Davenport, IA.
- Oversees the activities of System Development Engineers associated with new business development, proposal, design, development, integration, technical risk assessment, technical planning, verification, validation and supportability and effectiveness analysis of aerial refueling and life support systems throughout the systems lifecycles.
- Administers direct supervisory responsibilities for personnel in a matrix management organization that includes work assignments, talent acquisition, career and performance management, and mentorship.
- Provides leadership to promote: functional and execution excellence, innovative and collaborative environment, advancement of technical competencies and personal/professional career development.
- Alongside supervisory duties, performs a functional role as a systems design and development engineer. The functional role includes leading customer and IRAD proposal development, strategic technology planning activities and process improvements.
- Functional role time to supervisory time percentage is approximately 60/40.
- Exemplifies the Cobham values of integrity, excellence, accountability, cooperation, commitment and innovation, promotes and fosters a culture of continuous improvement, contributes in development of and facilitates execution of the strategic plan, the technology roadmap and leadership vision.
- Works with customers, engineering leadership and Business Development to identify process and product improvements and align technology/capability development for new business opportunities.
- Actively networks to cultivate relationships with customers, within engineering and with other functional department staff and leadership to achieve operational and product excellence.
- Actively enforces adherence to environmental, safety and health policies and promotes a culture of hazard and waste reduction.
- Some travel will be required.
- ABET accredited Bachelor of Science in Aerospace, Mechanical, Systems or other Engineering discipline.
- Minimum of 8 years engineering design and development experience in the aerospace industry.
- Management experience with direct oversight of engineering staff, inclusive of managing performance and staffing.
- This position requires access to technology, materials, software or hardware that is controlled by export laws of the US. In order to be eligible you must be either a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- 3+ years of experience leading engineering project development teams.
- Experienced with typical industry life cycle models for system development, e.g. ARP4754.
- Working knowledge of Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) or MIL-HDBK-516 Air Worthiness processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience with aircraft systems design for either commercial or military applications.
- Demonstrated experience writing and presenting technical material to customers, mid-level, and executive management.
- Demonstrated experience in leading continuous improvement activities in an engineering organization.
- Demonstrated experience working in cross-functional teams inclusive of supply chain, manufacturing, quality, business development, contracts and finance.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills – e.g. clearly communicates, empathic listening skills, unbiased, diplomatic, trustworthy, accountable, and fosters strong working relationships.
For more information regarding the Davenport facility and products manufactured there, please visit the below links:
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.
To see all of our latest opportunities and for consideration please visit www.cobham.com/careers
Follow us on our LinkedIn page at www.linkedin.com/company/cobham
Job Category: Engineering
Primary Location: US-Iowa-Davenport
Organization: Cobham Mission Systems Davenport
Job Posting: 14-Sep-2018, 9:19:10 AM
Recruiter: Michael Hamill
Req ID: 268414