WindStream Communications Construction Tech-Line Worker in Creston, Iowa
About the Role:
Construction Technician-Line Worker is responsible for installing, repairing and maintaining poles, cables and conduits; installing aerial and buried cables with associated hardware as required to build jobs; the running of fiber optic, copper and other necessary cable in the telecommunications space, both aerial and in underground infrastructure, such as manholes; maintaining the safety of the crew by providing direction regarding procedures, road safety, manhole safety, attending safety meetings as requested; maintaining material inventory, DOT vehicle inspection; operate heavy machinery; and other duties as assigned, including, but not limited to, splicing copper and fiber cable and any tasks associated with splicing cable. The job will include work on weekends, holidays, standby and unscheduled hours and overtime. Travel is required and may be over 50% of the year depending on the business needs.
What You’ll Do:
- Install, repair and maintain poles.
- Install aerial cables (fiber and copper); set up service for customers, installing, connecting, testing, or adjusting equipment as requested.
- Measure signal strength at utility poles, using electronic test equipment.
- Inspect or test lines or cables, recording and analyzing test results, to assess transmission characteristics and locate faults or malfunctions.
- Access specific areas to string lines or install terminal boxes, auxiliary equipment, or appliances, using bucket trucks, or by climbing poles or ladders, or entering tunnels, trenches, or crawl spaces.
- String cables between structures and lines from poles, towers, or trenches and pull lines to proper tension using jacks, hoist and other equipment as necessary.
- Pull up cable by hand from large reels mounted on trucks
- Lay underground cable directly in trenches or string it through conduits running through trenches/manholes as requested and required.
- Pull cable through ducts by hand or with winches.
- Ability to use a variety of construction equipment to complete installations, such as digger derricks, bucket trucks, back hoes, trenchers, or cable plows.
- Dig trenches for underground wires or cables.
- Understand staking sheets and blueprints.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards. Be familiar with RUS standards, read and follow design engineers’ instructions and specifications, maintain the scope of work on the project and adhere to safety procedures.
- Prepare engineering field notes. Interpret buried underground and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field with clarity and detail and make recommendations for changes in running line or construction methodologies.
- Participate in engineering, permit and construction processes as required.
- Perform routine maintenance. Recognize and repair route issues including but not limited to, hand hole cleanup, sign placement, and weed control as required.
- Fill and tamp holes, using cement, earth, and tamping devices
- Splice copper and fiber cables and tasks associated with splicing.
- Other work as assigned.
- 1 year of copper and/or fiber cable splicing experience.
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 75 pounds
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, year round
- Ability to work in confined spaces and at heights
- Ability to work an on-call schedule rotation as well as days/nights/overnights/weekends/holidays/overtime, as needed
- Valid driver’s license
- Minimum qualifications to obtain a CDL
- Ability to pass DOT certification
- High School Diploma or equivalency
- Ability to Travel
- Exceptional time-management and attention to detail to complete all paperwork accurately and on-time.
*Desired Qualifications: *
- 5 or more years of experience, including pole climbing.
- OSHA 10 Hour Safety Course and Buck Squeeze (Pole Climbing Certifications)
- Proficient at operating various Construction Equipment.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance Plans
- 401K Plan
- Health & Flexible Savings Account
- Life and AD&D, Spousal Life, Child Life Insurance Plans
- Educational Assistance Plan
- Identify Theft, Legal, Auto & Home and Pet Insurance
Windstream Holdings, Inc. is a leading provider of advanced network communications and technology solutions for consumers, small businesses, enterprise organizations and carrier partners across the U.S.
Primary Location: *US-Iowa-Creston
Job Category: Bargaining
Requisition ID: 21003282
Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. Equal Opportunity Employer including minority/female/disability/veteran; Without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or employment status. Windstream is a drug-free workplace.
- WindStream Communications Jobs